Ha, dah namanya homemaker kan.. what is the fun of being a homemaker without some noise in the kitchen, haha.
Ok today I wanna share with you nasi lemak recipe. I've been cooking several times already, but I think this one I'm sharing is my fave way of doing it.
Nasi lemak comes with a few condiments. They are really simple to make, really. Trust me :)
Let's prepare the rice first. We will need:
- Rice (depends on how much you wanna cook.. for more people, cook more rice)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3 centimeters of ginger, chopped
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, finely chopped (some just like to hit it and directly put it into the cooker. Well, lemongrass is one of the most effective herbs to prevent cancer. So, please, eat it!)
- Coconut milk; amount will be of the same level as the rice in the cooker (if you like the rice to be softer, add in coconut milk slightly more)
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2-3 pandan leaves, tied together
Some may prefer diluted coconut milk, and some may prefer it to be more 'milky'. I like it to be a little diluted.
Method: Put all ingredients in the rice cooker. Give them a stir. Then turn on the cooker and just let the rice cook.
Ok. Next let's prepare the 'sambal' or chilli gravy. We will need:
- 3 red onions + 2 cloves of garlic + some anchovies + some water (grind them together in the blender)
- 4 tablespoons of chilli paste (or chilli boh as they usually call it). If you like hotter sambal, you can add in more chilli paste
- 2 tablespoons of tomato ketchup (you can replace this with tamarind extract) Tomato also has the sour taste so using it kinda meets the same purpose of using tamarind extract. Oh, my husband doesn't like it when I use tamarind extract. That's why I use tomato ketchup instead.
- Some fried anchovies
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil (use it because it's anti-cancerous and anti-inflammatory!)
- Salt and sugar to preferred taste
- You may add 'belacan' (anchovies paste) if you like. I don't because husband doesn't like it. Oh well..
Pour the olive oil in the pan and heat up the pan
Pour in the blended ingredients and stir. Wait for the oil to surface
Add in the chilli paste. Stir well. Again, wait for the oil to surface again
Put in the fried anchovies and tomato ketchup. Stir. If you think that the mixture is kinda thick, add in some water.
Put in salt and sugar according to your liking. I like it to be a bit sweet.
Eggs: You can choose sunny side up or hard-boiled eggs. I like hard-boiled eggs. Less fat.
A few slices of fresh cucumber
Easy peasy, don't you think?
Macam nak bawa bekal pergi sekolah pulak kan.. haha