Followers

Monday, November 24, 2014

Lactation cookies recipe

Heyya readers! How's it going? My days aren't so bad, in fact every day is a fun day.. be it with my kids or my fellow housewives here..

When I got Fahim, I really wished that I could breastfeed him fully, as long as I want. Alhamdulillah until now he is on breast milk like 95% of the time (100% from birth to 10 months). Right now he is showing keen interest in finger food. So yeah, I give him occasionally baby biscuits and fruits that he doesn't really have to chew.

Okay, I wanna share something that I took for months when breastfeeding Fahim. This is a good kind of snack. Very healthy for the mom and the baby. It's called lactation cookies. This helped me a lot in getting enough milk for Fahim. I'm proud to say that I managed to donate my milk to 3 different babies too. Alhamdulillah this time around Allah made it easier for me.

Yeah, exactly we can always purchase. But 500 g of lactation cookies costs about RM50 RM60 in Kuala Lumpur, so it definitely burnt holes in my purse as I eat my cookies like munching peanuts, lol. I got this recipe after a lot of browsing and watching Youtube videos. I love this recipe as it is easy and crunchy for me :)

The main ingredients for lactation cookies are rolled oats, flaxseed meal and brewer’s yeast.. I bought the items online at:

www.littlegreenplanet.com.my
www.organic4u.com.my 

Group A 
  • 4 eggs
  • 4 tablespoons of butter (can substitute with low fat Vitalite margarine)
  • 2.5 cups of brown sugar (the sweet toothed ones can add more if they like)
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract 


Group B (mix all these ingredients together in a bowl)
  • 2 cups of whole meal flour
  • 4 tablespoons of flaxseed meal (increasing this will not affect the taste of the cookie)
  • 3 tablespoons of brewer’s yeast
  • 1 tablespoon of baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon of soda bicarbonate


Group C
  • 3 cups of rolled oats, grounded
  • Other GOOD ingredients of baker’s choice (pick any 2 or 3, or even better, all!)
a. 1 cup of Raisins
b. 1 cup of Almonds (Coarsely grounded)

c. 1 cup of Walnuts (dubbed as the brain food) (Coarsely grounded)

d. 1 cup of  Dates (chopped)
e. 1 cup of  Hazelnuts (Coarsely grounded)
  • 2 cups of Chocolate chips (so far Hershey’s chocolate chips are the best)


Method:
  1. Preheat the oven for 155 deg C (oven with fan) or 170 deg C (oven without fan)
  2. Beat Group A together in a cake mixer, until all are mixed well 
  3. Add in Group B bit by bit until the batter is even.
  4. Pour in bit by bit the grounded rolled oats and your chosen good ingredients. Stir well with a large spoon.
  5. Lastly, add in the chocolate chips. Mix well.
  6. Scoop the mixture bit by bit onto the baking tray to form like a biscuit (size is up to you). 
  7. Press the individual scoop with a fork to flatten it (if you like it to be flat)
  8. Put the baking tray in the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes (the smaller the cookie size the faster it will bake)

I so love these cookies.. only nowadays I don't really make them cuz I haven't found flaxseed meal and brewer's yeast here yet..

Do give it a try.. you won't be disappointed!

Happy baking, and happy breastfeeding!

No comments: